Monday, September 19, 2005

I am Thinking of You...


, originally uploaded by AnomalousNYC.

I went out in the street and started talking with people about the Hurricane, asking them how they felt and asking them if they would like to hold this message for the people down there. The response was amazing: in the last four days, I've gotten nearly 1,000 of these portraits.





Some people smiled and sent comforting faces. Some people frowned and sent faces that showed their grief and concern. Some people - in particular those people who are actually from New Orleans or who have family there - made very stony faces. These latter in particular moved me profoundly and sometimes I found myself crying while taking these pictures. It was as if they stepped beyond the theatricality and falsehood of photography to really say with their simple presence, shouting against all hope across a vast gap, I am thinking of you.

See the entire series by viewing the Slide Show
Photos by AnomalousNYC, Lower East Side, New York City – USA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home




"THE RICH MUST LIVE MORE SIMPLY SO THAT THE POOR MAY SIMPLY LIVE." - Mahatma Gandhi